Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 167 - The Maiden Voyage

"...the maiden voyage..."

The idea of something new is often fun and exciting until you take the maiden voyage. I was writing about an experience with a kayak last year. The idea of it was great until that initial ride. My friends who took the first ride had a hard time getting in and out, steering was tough and the person in front kept getting the person in back all wet.

Thankfully when we get past that first try things get easier and we get better at it. Now whenever we go out on the kayak we are able to turn and have more fun with the kids than that first time.

The excitement of something new can overwhelm at times. I remember going snorkeling for the first time and felt as though the entire world was closing in on me when I put on the mask and got in the water. I actually had a moment of panic. Thankfully I prayed and calmed myself down and was able to overcome the fear. Now I love to go snorkeling and look forward to going.

We all encounter these experiences and have the "maiden voyage" of things like a new job, relocating and moving into a new place, meeting people for the first time and many other life experiences. The most memorable of these being the day of salvation, the wedding day and the day your children are born. Talk about launching into new adventures!

Life is a lot of fun and there are experiences waiting for us each day. The 'firsts that we encounter may bring with them fears and uncertainty. Let's meet those fears with faith and as we experience new things enjoy the ride of the maiden voyage.

What are some memorable 'firsts' you have had in life? Can you prepare for a new experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment