Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 8 - Procrastination

"Sometimes...most of the time, if I don't write something down I will lose it. I don't know how many good ideas I've had, sermon notes, songs and thoughts that have been lost because I failed to write it down. Most of the reason I don't get more stuff done is because the simple work gets left undone. Laziness and procrastination are the two deceptively beautiful but really are ugly sisters that hang around and hinder progress. They are like the mythical sirens that call to you in a beautiful form but once they have you will eat you alive."

In my school years I estimated myself to be a professional procrastinator. I could whip out grade A material the night before a paper was due and glance at my notes before a test to get the right answers. As I have grown into the responsibility of the many hats I wear I simply cannot live like that anymore. Dad's and husbands that procrastinate miss out on their families. Business professionals who procrastinate miss out on promotion and wealth. A pastor who procrastinates may be able to whip together a decent message but won't have the wisdom of time spent with the Lord and may lack anointing.

There are a few ways I have found in my personal life that I can overcome procrastination. First of all taking initiative. Looking around and ahead and seeing what needs to be done, taking the bull by the horns and then making it happen. Also, I had to pray and ask God to help me get organized. Finally, just moving on things has helped me. Many times if I don't do it then it won't get done. So I made the decision to just get after things when I have it in mind.

How do you deal with procrastination? Are there systems or attitudes that help with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment