Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 13 - Legacy

"I gave my son my Bible from when I was a kid. It was neat to see how my mom had dated it from 1985. Almost 30 years later here I am handing it to my son. He was so excited and wanted to have me read from it tonight. What a treasure to pass on the same Bible that I remember going through and looking at all the pictures placed throughout the pages. Maybe it was those pictures and stories that gave me such a love of the Bible early on. That and my parents prayers and example for sure."

It is so important as parents to connect with our children as much as we can. Often my children will ask me what my childhood was like. I realize that they want to relate with me. With as much responsibility as I have and the demands that come with life and ministry I try to get time every day to connect with my children and show them love. Some days it is quantity, all days I go for quality.

My brother-in-law recently preached about love. More specifically how we can show love. He made the statement that we can show love because we have received the love of God. It is so true. How could I show my children love if I had never been loved? My parents have been examples of godliness and have influenced me to be a better person and Christian. I know they pray for me. They have left a legacy that I am now giving to my children.

Even if you didn't have great parents or if you don't have children you can leave a legacy. People are always watching. You have influence! God made you for this time and placed you where you are for a purpose. Your Heavenly Father has loved you and given you everything you need to impact earth and eternity!

Do you have anything your parents gave you (physically or through example) that you want to pass on to your children? What kind of legacy are you building?

2 comments:

  1. Amen pastor dan! I was raised with my grandparents me and my sister and our uncle david told us about Jesus when we were small girls. we would have bible studies in our grandfathers house or we go to other people's house to have bible studies. he had a friend they called brother John and he bought me and my sister a children's bible with pictures on it. I am very blessed I had my uncle in my life to tell us about Jesus. and now my grandkids Anthony who is 9 yrs old and jonathan 6 yrs old go to the rock church childrens ministry and are learning about Jesus. they love going to church and when one of them is sick they will lay hands on each other and pray close their eyes and pray to Jesus or before they go to bed they will tell me to pray for them and I do and they fall asleep I have took my kids to church when they were small but one of my sons mark is not saved but I keep praying for him everyday not giving up. my other two kids are saved and born again. I know God will hear my prayers God is good all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I am believing that your son will be saved. May God send laborers and use your influence to bring him into the kingdom.

      Delete