Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day 25 - Bible Literacy

"I had a fifteen year old boy ask me a Bible question. I realize the task we have to get our people Biblically literate when I encounter questions like his. It was so simple but the one verse without the context made no sense. Bible programs are wonderful but I wonder if they will hinder people from truly knowing their Bible because memorization and knowing the Word comes second to ease of access and abundant supply for many."

Reading this a year later I see that for someone else to get a picture of what I am saying they may need the context of my experience. I was walking out in our church foyer and a young man approached me with a question about a verse in the Bible. He showed me the verse on his cell phone but his phone did not display the chapter surrounding the verse. His question was very easily answered when you read the verses surrounding the one in question but he had searched his Bible program and got one verse out of context and it was leading him to the wrong conclusion. 

More and more I find that people are looking to technology, websites, and the Internet in general for answers about God, the Bible and Christianily. I personally think it is great on the one hand because of ease of access to information. Testimonies abound of good things God is doing. Accountability and reminders for church and Christian activities have increased. On the other hand I find it disturbing that people are trusting the first thing that pops up on a search. Anyone can say whatever they want with no credibility. People have also become lazy and don't want to put in the time to study the Word and get to know their Bible and their God. 

Reading your Bible, praying, attending church, fellowshipping with other believers; that has got to be too simple...right? And yet the simple things are what's being neglected. If we will dive in to the Word and get acquainted with it then we will hear God in prayer and in church because we will know His voice and His character. And when we use technology it will only help us to go deeper with God, feed us more of His Word and connect us better to His church. 

How do you use technology to encourage your Christian study/life? How can we get more Biblically literate? 

2 comments:

  1. My own Bible literacy is something that I have been thinking about recently; I've been contemplating attending The Rock Bible college. I'm a member of the church and have been attending for 26 years. I've done the basic research on the program; read the- course descriptions, faculty bios, application, etc. It's something that has been at the back of my mind but I have not acted on it.

    This morning while I was getting ready for work; my cousin who lives in Louisiana text me.It's been about a month since we've talked and she had no idea I was thinking about Bible college (she's a Rhema graduate). She told me " Missy you came to my mind on Sunday when I was sitting in church and I want to tell you something. Hopefully it blesses you, if not then just ignore me. I need to tell you that if you are wanting to go to Bible college, then go. It will give you the confidence you need to be the blessing you were born to be. I know the Lord put that on my heart so I would tell you that and encourage you to go ahead with it and know that it’s not a fleeting thought but what you are supposed to do.” She said that she was kind of hesitant to tell me that but God has been placing that on her heart since Sunday to tell me.

    So the next time registration comes around I will be applying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome Melissa, it is always neat when God gives you confirmation like that. On another note you will have me for Blood Covenant class during the fall quarter! I look forward to seeing you there.

      Delete