Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day 16- What really matters

"I am busy but I am determined to be busy with what is important; people."

Today's thought from last year reminds me that I have to connect everything I do to people. My work is a service to the people. My home life is a service to my family and friends. My witness is to people who are lost in the world. I exist for God and others. 

Many times when I interact with people at church, even sometimes when they have made an appointment and meet me in the office, they say "I know you're busy so I'll be quick". My response is always the same, "I am here for you, this I what I do". Really without people there is no church. The building is just a building. People are the church. 

It is easy to get distracted from this simple concept. Self can easily step in and say the people are here for you. In reality it is the other way around. The devil would love us to buy the lie that what we do won't hurt anyone but ourselves. Not true! Sin hurts people beyond ourselves. Society would tell us to live our lives and that the times are such that business and finance, marketing and branding are more important than real connections and genuine interaction. Wrong again, loving God and loving people is the command. Loving one another as Jesus loved us is the new command. That is a sacrificial love for others who don't even deserve it. 

There is the motivation for the determination. There is the example of how. Now let's do it! 

How high are people on your priority scale? How can we do better at serving, loving, and investing in others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment