Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 17 - Blessings

"I went for a walk by myself after lunch to look around our campus and the sun was warm on my back. What a blessing to live in California. I don't care what anyone says I live in paradise. Even in the Inland Empire it is better than the winters I have spent in Tulsa and the summers in the desert."

Too often I overlook how blessed I am. To live in California, the U.S.A., with the family that I was raised with and now the family that I am raising...I am super blessed. 

In my early twenties I wrote a song called "It could be worse". Sounds like a Billboard top 40 right? I could just hear Ryan Seacrest saying "And now coming in at number 38 "it could be worse"! The premise of the song was that no matter how bad we think we have it we don't encounter the things that people all over the world do every day. That is a blessing. 

I don't fear bombs going off outside my house, I don't have militant people shutting down our church services or throwing me in prison for my faith. I am blessed. 

We had a missions conference last year at the church and on the Friday night session they brought in Brother Yun. His story was amazing. I think it wrecked us all in the best way possible. Many of us shared the sentiment "Are we even saved?!" All that aside what was overwhelming about this man who had been imprisoned, tortured and shunned was his smile and simplicity of faith in a Jesus that loves us. He was blessed. I was blessed by him because I don't want to overlook or undervalue what God has given me. I am blessed to be a blessing. 

What blessings do you enjoy that maybe have gone overlooked? How can we show the value of our blessings? 

No comments:

Post a Comment