Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 10 - Definitions

"We have been fasting sweets this month and I noticed my taste buds have changed. I had a bowl of honey nut o's and they tasted way too sweet. Before the fast they seemed so bland but now that I am deprived of sugar they are overkill! How amazing to me that the same person with the same thing in a short period of time can have two totally different opinions of that thing. I guess the same could apply to words like rich, blessed, painful, happy, content, sick, beautiful, fair, etc."

I am amazed how at this time last year I was thinking about how we define things because today I wrote a sermon about how faith defines us. The only way we can define anything is by the Word of God. God alone is true, Jesus is the person of truth, the Holy Spirit is the revealer of truth. When we define things by our experience or circumstances we get off into things which are constantly changing. If that goes on long enough we become unstable. On the other hand, when we define everything by the truth of God's Word, no matter the circumstances, the definition remains the same.

What words could you add to my list from last year? How has defining life by truth rather than experience helped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment