Friday, January 30, 2015

Day 31 - The Last of the Fast


"Last day of our fast and wouldn't you know that Ruth was there pushing Girl Scout cookies when I came in to the office. I happened to have four dollars in my wallet so I bought some to break the fast with."

First off I must say that it was miraculous that I had cash. Second I am now craving the toasted coconut caramel and chocolate Girl Scout cookies. (What kind do you like? Thin Mints? Lemonade? All of the above?)

This year we went to Cheesecake Factory and bought a Lemon Meringue Cheesecake slice to break the fast with. Is anyone hungry? Hopefully you aren't fasting right now. At our Men's Breakfast I asked if anyone was fasting meat and was angry about it. Two hands shot up. 

Pastor Deborah Cobrae, my mother in law who is an extremely wise woman of God and a world class preacher, was speaking to the church pastoral staff a few years ago. She was discussing prayer and fasting. She said fasting silences what is loudest in our lives so that we can hear the voice of God. 

Our appetites are often screaming at us to satisfy them. When you fast they seem to intensify and then as you seek the Lord and deny the flesh they get less and less. By the end of the fast what once controlled you often is now under your control or is nonexistent. That is why I could buy cookies and cheesecake and wait to eat them until we break the fast. 

Have you had any breakthroughs while fasting? What is the hardest part of fasting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment