Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 183. - It Will Work Itself Out

"I went in to work and got through all my 60+ e-mails from my two days off. I made a point this week to not read or answer my e-mails on my days off. The wonderful thing was that on Monday the office had an issue and wanted some of my time today to deal with the issue. When I got in today there was an e-mail that the situation had worked itself out and there was no need for my involvement. I was thankful I chose to protect my days off and my family time."

There are two important principles here for leaders. First is to give problems the time they need. The second is to protect your family and rest. 

Problems have a way of telling us they are the most important thing and require immediate attention. There are times when a problem should be immediately dealt with. This is not always the case though. I have found that most problems should be given some time. When I have done this I have either seen the problem work itself out or I have been able to step away and pray and get the wisdom of God for the situation. In the end it will be better handled with a thoughtful approach. 

Problems will also try to rob us of our family time and rest. Our family is our first priority after God. God actually equates our care for our family with our salvation. Pretty heavy! We need to be aware of the things that will take from our family time. The job and the problems will come and go. Family is there for the long haul. It would be no good to give attention to problems on the job only to create problems at home. 

Your rest also needs to be protected. If you never turn your brain off the stress will do you harm. God commanded rest for more than just an example, it is actually healthy for us! 

What are some healthy ways to give problems time? How can we guard our family and rest in practical ways? 

No comments:

Post a Comment