Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 198 - Be There

"My daughter learned to skip her first rock and was very excited."

There are a lot of firsts that we experience as parents starting with the first breath. As a dad I have tried to be there for as many of these firsts as I can. First steps, first words, first day of school, first game. The list goes on.

I understand that there will be times where a parent has to do what they have to do. Work is a priority to put food on the table and to provide for the family. Any parent would rather be with their child for these firsts but it is inevitable that they will miss something. There is no shame in missing a first because you were working hard to provide.

On the other hand though there are firsts that a parent can and should try to be there for. I remember that when my daughter turned six and she hadn't got her training wheels off yet I had a freak out moment. We immediately went to the park where I ran behind her bike holding the seat and released her to learn to ride. With all of my children I have made sure I was the one running behind the bike.

I am also the one who labored over getting them to tie their shoes. As much as we have been in a rush to get to work or school I cherish those moments on the stairs watching their concentrated faces and tongue sticking out while they run the rabbit around the tree and into the hole. (That is a reference to tying shoes in case you have no idea what I just said.)

More importantly my wife and I have been there for the kids first prayers, prayers of salvation, memory verses, and spiritual conversations. We need to be there for our children. Even if you didn't have the perfect family you do have a perfect God. He will show you how to be there for your children. Through the word and prayer you have everything you need.

What other firsts are important to be there for? What scriptures deal with child-raising?

No comments:

Post a Comment