Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Day 196 - The Best View

"The view of the valley was better than the view of the crater."

Last year while on family vacation we hiked to a place called the Inyo craters. There are three in a row. The first one is large and has turquoise water in it from the volcanic activity there. The second crater is a little way up and has lots of trees in it and a little water. Not as good of a view as the first but you might as well see it because it is right next to the first one. 

I had never been to the third one and had seen pictures but it never looked like anything. I decided to go for it and hike to the third crater. My brother-in-law and my nephew went as well. In fact a lot of the family wanted to go but the trail whittled down and eventually the little kids couldn't go any further. We eventually were on our hands and knees scrambling up the side of the cinder cone. We made it to the top of the third crater. 

Inside the crater were some trees and bushes. Aside from a few squirrels playing there really wasn't much to see. Until we turned around. There was before us the whole valley. We could see the roads and resorts as well as meadows and trees for miles. It all headed towards the tall mountains in the distance. 

I have found that there were goals that I have achieved that were not what I had hoped or expected. Places I wanted to go to, conferences I wanted to attend, people I have wanted to meet didn't turn out to be what I expected. In the midst of my pondering what is wrong with the picture I turn and see a different view. 

One time I went across the nation for a conference where I thought we would learn about how to better minister to our youth at church and ended up hearing from God about transitions that were coming up in life. I was saying to God in my prayers, "Really God?! You had to bring me across the nation to talk to me about this?" The response was quick, "Yes, I finally have your full attention." 

Let's look past disappointments to a different view. It could be there is something beautiful we haven't seen yet. Look around, and don't forget to look up!

Have you had an experience like this? What was the lesson?

No comments:

Post a Comment