Friday, July 24, 2015

Day 206 - The Art of the Edit


"The message could have been huge so I had to edit way down."

There is always more to say than there is time to say it. The message could get long. There is an art to editing your message. Clear, concise and well thought out. 

Not everything that could be said is applicable. Get rid of it. It won't help drive home the point. 

Lots of what is said is redundant. Rather than reinforcing your message it is reducing the interest. Repetition is one thing, redundancy is quite another. 

I find that if I place myself in the seat of my audience, whether that is one on one or in a group setting, that my message will become clearer. If you as yourself, "What am I saying?" "What is the main point?" and "Is this clearly understood?" your message will come through and the edits will be easy. 

The principles here apply to business presentations, witnessing, and any other public speaking you may be doing. It will be clear and clearly understood. 

Is most of your speaking public or one on one? How can editing your message help in your speaking to others?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you this is timely. I just went over what I am going to say to the volunteer class and I edited it both times. I hope not to leave anything out but I don't want to put a lot in either. One thing I had to take out of my notes was introducing myself ... twice. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny, While it is important to introduce yourself once is enough! Glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete