Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Day 323 - Reoccurring Dreams

"He said he had the same dream twice where he was in front of a crowd in a theater on Broadway and had nothing to say. I added that the only way the dream could get worse was if he was in his underwear."

There I was, about ready to go on the stage and preach to our congregation. I was just getting out of the shower and my wife had come in the room to talk to me. Right behind her my kids came in and I was searching for my clothes but couldn't find them in the dresser drawers. Soon my parents are in the room and then others followed and I really should be out on the stage right now but I can't find my clothes. What would I do? I can't go out there with only a towel! 

Hopefully you have caught on that I am sharing one of my dreams (or nightmares depending on how you look at it). It is so interesting how the subconscious mind can draw on fears and frustrations while we are asleep. 

I have noticed that there are reoccurring places and scenarios that come up again and again in my dreams. It could be the mind going into auto-pilot. I am sure people who are smarter than me could explain this phenomenon. 

All that aside what we need to know is that things are on our minds that we need to address. We need to confront our fears. We have to deal with people. We must pray and fight spiritual warfare. Without these things we will add stress to our lives that will do more damage than addressing our issues. 

I can over think when it comes to addressing issues. I often prepare by running through scenarios in my mind. While I am praying my mind will wander from talking to God to having an imaginary conversation or meeting in my mind. 

Recently while doing this I stopped myself and submitted the whole thing to the Holy Spirit. I said to God that if the disciples should premeditated what they were going to say when they went before the counsels and leaders then neither should I. I also asked that the Holy Spirit would speak on my behalf when the time came. It totally worked. I didn't say some of the things I had dreamed up but what I did say was clear and effective. And I trust that apart from what I said what the Holy Spirit did was more effective anyway. 

If you are carrying worry or stress from the reoccurring daydreams or if it effects you in the night as well it is time to roll that off your back on to the Lord. He is strong enough to carry it. He will give you better dreams. They will be dreams of effectiveness, of reaching out in a greater way, of helping others and of being a blessing. One thing is for sure, you won't be standing in front of a crowd in your underwear. 

Have you had one of those stressful reoccurring dreams? What dreams has God given you?

No comments:

Post a Comment