Saturday, November 14, 2015

Day 319 - Too Early For Christmas?

"We went to Costco and got Christmas lights. I put them up today so this marks the earliest we have ever put them up."

First off let me say that I love Costco. (With respect to the the Sam's Club lovers of coarse. I worked at Sam's for two years so I have much love for them as well.) Now that we have that out of the way lets get to the point. 

Christmas lights. My wife loves Christmas. Much like my love for Costco only she gets one time a year whereas I get multiple opportunities every month to express my love. Because my wife loves Christmas so much she has me moving bins of decorations, setting up trees and putting up lights. 

Last year I invested in LED lights. I would agree with everyone who just thought that LED lights do not look as good as the old incandescents. But they are more efficient with energy, cost less and burn out less frequently. Convenience over aesthetics any day. In our neighborhood we had an unspoken race with our neighbors that only we knew about (so we thought) for who could get our lights up earliest. Last year we won and then this year we moved securing our crown as earliest house in the neighborhood to have their lights up forever. 

Some would scoff and say it is too early for Christmas. But just like I said in my Thanksgiving post earlier this month that it should not be the only time we say thanks is on Thanksgiving we also should celebrate Christmas more than on December 25th. 

How can you limit the wonder of God becoming a baby to a single day? That is a light that should shine in our hearts all year long. People should wonder at the joy we carry because that same Christ now lives in us. We have the most wonderful story to tell of the most wonderful time of the year. 

Don't hold back, shine the light of the season early and often. 

What do you enjoy about Christmas? How does that shine the light of Jesus to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment