Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Day 245 - Every Opportunity


"Hopefully we can share the gospel with the team as relationships form."

I made this statement in relation to my son's soccer team. We did in fact get to share the gospel and even invited the whole team to come to church. None came but they all heard. 

We should in all things, in every way we can, use every opportunity to share the gospel. Our life should be one big sermon lived out in front of the world. At home in front of your neighbors your lawn and your cars parked in the front (or in the garage) should speak of the truth of God's Word. When you go to work and give your best it should be a testimony of the grace of God. In good and bad your external attitude should share the internal reality of the transformed life you live. 

It takes an awareness of three things; God, others and myself (in that order). 

When I know that God is always with me I will live in the light of His Word and work with His strength. His life will be lived through me when I live in a way that realizes He is living in me. 

If I can be aware of others, looking to serve rather than be served, it will affect my decisions. Just the other day my mother-in-law was on the phone with someone who works as a telemarketer. I personally don't like getting these calls at home and often abruptly get off of the phone when I realize it is a sales call. She however had the presence of mind to think of this man on the other end of the phone and she said to him "I know that your job must be really hard and even though I don't have need of what you are selling I hope you make a lot of sales today". He was blown away. We can share God's goodness with others by being sensitive to their needs and looking for opportunities to serve. 

Finally we need to be aware of ourselves. When I am unaware of what I am doing I tend to make mistakes. I can go into auto-pilot from time to time. Like driving on the freeway. I take the route to church so much that sometimes I end up driving like I am going there when I intend to go somewhere else. The same can happen with bad behaviors. We may have a scowl on our face or we might ignore others. People are always watching. I know because I am always watching other people. In fact, that is one of my favorite pass times at amusement parks. It is called people watching. Who is watching you? If they watch you long enough will they see Christ in you? These are good questions to ask ourselves. 

When we are aware of God, others and ourselves it will open the door for every opportunity to be used to the fullest to preach the gospel. 

Which of these three are you most aware of and why? Which of these three are you least aware of and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment