Thursday, September 3, 2015

Day 247 - Leadership Awareness

"He had a good insight that the one word to be a good leader was awareness."

Leaders should know and be aware of their sphere of responsibility. The Bible says we should know the state of our flocks. What has been entrusted to us can only be effective if we know what is going on. 

As a leader myself I require all the information before I make a decision. Many things are effected when you make changes. The question is always bigger than the immediate need. It goes into other areas. Like a domino that when you push it over topples over a line of others leaders need to know what their decisions will do and be able to see ahead. 

When I have been heading in a direction and become aware of new information and the whole picture I have found that many times it will either change the direction or the approach. It all hinges on my awareness. It is no one else's responsibility for my awareness. I will often go to the departments and ask questions or walk into areas just to see what we are talking about so that I can make intelligent decisions. 

Without awareness you will be shooting in the dark. It doesn't matter if you are managing a Fortune 500 company or managing your home, if you are not aware you won't be able to effectively manage. Ask the right questions, limit distractions and find out the whole story. 

What are some things good leaders should be aware of? How can we become more aware of the state of our homes, businesses and organizations?

No comments:

Post a Comment