Friday, September 25, 2015

Day 269 - Pride

"Pride can creep in and make you think you are stable when you are really ready to fall."

We have all heard the proverb that pride comes before the fall. It is true. Just when you think you are all that you are humbled. I would rather humble myself than be humbled. Wouldn't you? 

I studied out the word pride throughout the Bible and found that it is never used in a good way. Our common use is that we are proud of our accomplishments, proud of our kids and even proud to be an American. I get what people are saying but I wonder if we aren't saying the wrong thing and should maybe search for a better way to say it. Semantics? Possibly, but God made a point of changing names and never mixed words. Why wouldn't we give attention to it as well? 

I think the most compelling reason I think I am inclined to change my speech is because of what God says about Jesus. He never said He was proud of His Son. Wouldn't God have all the more reason to be proud? And yet we find a different word used by God when He speaks of Jesus. He says, "This is my Son, with whom I am well pleased." 

Try it out. You may feel silly saying it at first but after a while you might find that being pleased with your accomplishments, your family and you nation may be more fitting than being proud. 

Now before you tell me of the scriptures that say not to get into foolish and stupid arguments about words let me say that this is not a black and white thing. If you choose to continue present day use of the word proud I have no issues. 

We do have permission from the Word to boast. Paul boasted of his infirmities. We are also told that if we are going to boast we should boast in the Lord. I think those are two areas we could do a better job boasting in. I don't know it all but I do want to be pleasing to God. 

What do you think? What is the real difference between being pleased and proud? 

No comments:

Post a Comment