Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Day 273 - Resisting Temptation

"I am reading the end of 1 Corinthians 9 into chapter 10 and hadn't really connected the thoughts of running the race, being temperate and then watching out for the pitfalls shown to us by the desert wanderings of Israel. These examples come and then the encouragement that God gives us a way of escaping temptation. It will never be more than I can handle. That means that when I do fall to temptations it is willful rebellion. I can handle it because God is watching my way. My choice is to bear up under it, flee from it (not cowardice but courage like Joseph) or to indulge in it. The first two are noble, honorable and upright. The last one easy, lazy, cowardice, rebellious and not ok."

Every human that has ever lived has encountered temptation. Even Jesus. The only one who has never given in to temptation is Jesus. He showed us in His life how to overcome when tempted. 

First of all He was lead by the Spirit. We need to realize that God lives in us if we are born of His Spirit. We can hear His voice. Where God leads we can be sure He has a plan and knows the way through. 

Second He confronted issues and didn't ignore them. I personally have to go against my flesh and natural inclination to ignore the problems and confront the issues. If we don't hit it head on we will be hit head on. What we allow will become more and more of a temptation and eventually a stronghold. 

Finally we see that Jesus spoke the Word of God. It is powerful when we speak God's Word. It is a seed that has power within itself to produce after it's own kind. We should be full of God's Word and speak the truth about our life, about the situation and about our enemy when tempted. 

Jesus endured and didn't give in to continuous tempting a of the devil. Jesus was lead by the Spirit, confronted the issues and spoke the Word. We have the perfect example of how to overcome and the assurance that God will keep us in a place of safety. The only way we can fail is if we choose to!

Do you see any other traits Jesus exemplified to overcome temptation? Read 1 Corinthians 9 & 10; how do these chapters show us how to endure temptation in practical ways? 

2 comments:

  1. I pray for strength and to be able to stand for God and for a way out, for all my pastors at my church and pastors at other churches I know.

    I know that satan knows if he can bring them down he can bring down the entire church. Of course I pray this for myself and my family too. But especially for my pastors because I know that satan is there trying to trip them up. But I am thankful they are all strong and aware of satan's devices.
    1 Corinthians 10: 12 If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. 13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true, we all need to pray for one another and watch for each other. Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete