Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day 240 - Permanent Solution To A Temporary Problem

"We talked about her son who tried to kill himself last night."

There have been a few times in my life that news shocked me and made me sick to my stomach. This was one of them. I had a close relationship with this individual. I had walked him through rocky points in marriage and eventually a divorce. I had prayed with this man and labored to keep him in church. Now here is news that he had tried to end his life. 

The only light I could see in this situation was that he was still alive. His mother was dealing with the feelings associated with suicide. "What did I do? What didn't I do? What could I have done?"

We prayed together and I listened and let her work through the emotions and tears. In the end I encouraged her and then connected with him later that day over the phone. He was ready to make the changes and to work where he needed. 

I have heard it said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. The pressures and weights of today will not be the same pressures of tomorrow. Whatever you are going through you must remember that you are 'going through' it. It won't always be like this. Yet the devil wants us to believe that and would love for us to end it all. 

The greatest hope we have is that no matter how hard it gets in this life if we are Christians we have the life to come that there will be no more pain and suffering. We have a Comforter now who is with us everywhere we go and in everything we encounter. 

If you are battling suicidal thoughts you need to talk with someone who is godly and trusted. Share with them what you are feeling. Pray together and seek the scriptures on your situation. Also at the bottom of this page I have included telephone numbers you can call if you feel like you have no one to talk to. 

God loves you and has a wonderful future He has planned. You will outlast the problems and the trials of life. 

What scriptures give you hope? What are you looking forward to in life?

USA National Suicide Hotline 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). New Hope Telephone Counseling Center 714-639-4673. Covenant House 1-800-999-9999 . Focus on the Family's Counseling Department 1-855-771-HELP (4357). Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Mountain time.

No comments:

Post a Comment