Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 221 - Get Outside of Yourself


"After church I got changed and we went over to Perris Hill Park for the back-to-school bash. It was packed with tons of people. The kids volunteered and did a really good job with the ring toss game."

Often when I think of going to certain areas I cringe. "No, not there." I know why I cringe too. I will be confronted with something no one likes to be confronted with; hurting people. Whether it is the homeless panhandler who I know is going to hit me up as I pump gas or it is the person who is arguing with their spouse at full volume in the middle of a store because of financial issues I don't want to be there. 

I think that life is designed to confront us with the truth that not everything is about 'me'. God wants us to get outside of ourselves and help someone else. The greatest commandment is to love God with all we are. The second command is like the first, we are to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. 

That is a problem. I can love myself pretty good. I eat things that I like, drive a nice car and live in a comfortable house. To love my neighbor as myself will cost me. It will cost me in time, money, care, etc. 

Every year our church goes into the inner city of San Bernardino to bless children who are less fortunate with backpacks, haircuts, food and the love of Jesus. Thousands of people come out. I go out with my children. I donate money towards the event. I make sure to walk around and thank the volunteers and look people in the eyes and share the love of Jesus. 

The reason I go out is to get outside of myself. To love someone else as I love myself. I have found that after I do I feel better. Even if I cringe at the thought of giving money to the panhandler or buying groceries for the couple who was arguing I am at perfect peace afterwards. I am outside of myself. God did say that when we do good works to the least of these we have done it unto Him. Maybe that is why it feels so good after we do good to others, the pleasure of God is resting on our life. No matter what you have or don't have, if you have that pleasure of God that is all you need. 

How do you feel when you have reached out to meet someone's needs? What ways can we do this more?

No comments:

Post a Comment