Monday, August 17, 2015

Day 230 - Learning the Hard Way


"I found out later that I didn't put any sunblock on my face."

I would imagine you know how I found out that I didn't have any sunblock on my face. Pain and redness! 

Like the old DC Talk song says; "Some people gotta learn the hard way, I guess I'm the type of guy who's gotta find out for himself". Experience is a tough teacher. She doesn't discriminate nor does she pull any punches. Like walking into a wrecking ball there have been things that I wanted to know for myself and later wished I would have listened to sound wisdom. Or to take it a step further asked someone who would know!

Thankfully not everything in life is learned this way. There are lots of things we can only learn from experience and hard knocks. But if you can learn from the experience of others or from instruction then you will save yourself many sorrows and painful learning lessons. 

This is where the student of the Bible will be glad to know their efforts aren't wasted. The Bible is more than a bunch of stories from history. It is examples of people who failed and succeeded. It shows us what to do and what not to do. 

Why learn from tough times when you can receive the instruction of God's Word?

What tough life lessons have you learned in the school of hard knocks? What lessons have you learned from others or from the Word of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment