Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Day 147 - Jury Duty

"During the jury selection process I was as honest as I could be and they still kept me around."

Every year like clockwork I get a summons to do my civic duty. Last year they opened a new courthouse in San Bernardino. It is beautiful and modern. For the first time I went to the selection process. 

I enjoyed hearing everyone's life and thankfully the judge was a kind man who liked to smile. It took the edge off being in a courtroom. The case was for a terrible crime and the levity was appreciated. 

I remember thinking that the moment they hear that I am a pastor and a Christian they will let me go. Not so. Others who had gone through similar situations as the case were let out one by one. At the end of the day the selection process wasn't done so I had to be back the next day. 

I guess I would rather be on the rehabilitation end of the process. Bring me the guy who is getting out and ready to change his life. Send me the woman who has had enough tough times and wants to connect with Jesus. Jury duty is just that for me...duty. 

How do you feel about jury duty? Are you someone who likes the courtroom experience or would you rather not be there?

1 comment: