Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day 128 - Directionally Challenged

"As a leader people don't always know where you are going or don't want to go where you are going."

My wife has a natural sense of direction. She knows inside where she is and what way she should go. She couldn't tell you North South East or West and sometimes gets right and left mixed up when giving me directions but if you were to ask her what way she could point and tell you "That way!" 

I have known others who habitually lose their car in parking lots and who have to use their alarm to locate their car by listening for the sound of the car locking through the horn or the tone. I admittedly have used this method on occasion and have started off in a direction that later was corrected by my wife's confident "That way" instruction. 

When I look at the statement from last year I see the essential quality of a leader is so simple. Point people in the direction you know they should be going and tell them "That way". Leaders lead; both in example and in instruction. You could also say in word and in deed. 

People won't know where you are going unless you tell them. Communication is key. I get so frustrated with myself when I know I haven't communicated and things go wrong. It is on me at that point. When we communicate and point out the way it helps others to have a clear vision and almost always they will reach or exceed the goal. 

If people don't want to go in the direction you are going then it is your job as a leader to get them on board. Once again it is vital to communicate. The question is one of value. Start with the ultimate value of following God. Are we following the true leader? Is it in the Bible? Once you can say yes with confidence then ask if it is a problem of leadership, vision or style. Two of those are easy to overcome. The real leader is God and if he has put me here then trust His choice and let's do this together. If it is a matter of style is there a better way or can you trust that this style will work to accomplish our goals? The last of the three is the biggest hurdle. If they have a problem with the vision then it is time to rehearse the vision, identify the outcomes and hear the objections. Don't be afraid to look at criticisms. It may help the vision get stronger. But if it is found to be negativity or undue then follow the vision and invite them along. 

What are some other obstacles you have encountered as a leader and how do we overcome them? How do you communicate vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment