Friday, April 24, 2015

Day 115 - I Believe in Science


"At the mall as I was walking there was a woman outside of Victoria's Secret with a clip board. She saw me walking up and said hello and I said hello back. She told me she was raising money for pro-choice and women's rights because she didn't believe the government should tell women what to do with their bodies. I told her I was a Christian and a pastor to which she said a prompt goodbye to me. I asked why she was dismissing me and she said she didn't want to fight. I told her I didn't want to either and asked her why she didn't want to talk about God. She said she was an atheist because she believed what science says and then said goodbye to me again. I told her that there was a God who loves her passionately and she is missing out on a great relationship with Him. I ended my comments to her by suggesting she watch the movie "God's Not Dead" because it talks about science and then said goodbye."

My heart broke for this girl. She was so eager to talk to me until I said I was a Christian. She literally shut down. There was a passion for her cause and pep and a spark about the political issues until that moment and then it was all gone. I don't mind a good debate. I don't even mind a heated argument when appropriate. But this wasn't even a conversation. 

When I think back on what she did say to me it brings to my remembrance the scene in the movie Nacho Libre where his wrestling partner Esqueleto says that he believes in science. Nacho ends up semi-baptizing him with a bowl of water in a forceful sneak attack. While we may laugh at the ridiculous approach in this scene I think many people view Christians this way when it comes to serious questions they have about God, science, religion and the church. 

I could have fought to get my point across or pressed the issue but in these situations it is best to leave it alone and let the seed of love and the power of prayer take over. We can only change the opinion of people we are trying to reach by the methods Jesus gave us. Love and prayer. 

I would think that Jesus would have been more forceful in His approach. Even the disciples were waiting for Him to take His place as King and Messiah who would deliver Israel. And yet the methods Jesus used were love and prayer. To those who would listen Jesus would teach, speak, heal and bless. 

But what about those who wouldn't listen? Jesus said that we shouldn't cast our pearls before swine or give to the dogs that which is precious. It is so freeing to know that we can simply love people and not have to argue or be responsible to convince everyone that what we are saying is the truth. We can quietly wait while their hearts are softened so they can hear the gospel. 

I pray that girl at the mall I met last year has had other laborers sent across her path to water the seed I sowed. Hopefully I will meet her in Heaven and we can laugh about Nacho Libre together. 

What indicators do people give when they are ready or not ready to receive what you are presenting? How can we love them while we wait for the right time to speak to them again?

No comments:

Post a Comment