Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Day 70 - Inexperience

"I was reading tonight that David was 30 when he began to reign. It is a scary thought for him and Josiah because of their age when they became king. I couldn't imagine the pressures that were on both of them."

Inexperience is as bad as ignorance in most cases. It is one thing to know everything about driving a car and quite another to drive one. The good thing is that inexperience can be remedied. Just as learning cures ignorance so does doing cure inexperience. 

It can be scary to venture out and try new things. Especially when the trial and error could possibly hurt and organization or an individual. 

In my own case I became a pastor at age 24. I became an executive pastor at age 30. I made a lot of mistakes early on (still do from time to time). Thankfully the Lord is gracious and patient with us while we learn. Thank God for the Holy Spirit and for people with lots of experience who mentored me and spoke words of encouragement as well as correction to me. 

I love that Paul told Timothy not to let people despise his youth. God is not so concerned with age and experience as He is the heart and the will to do. Don't let age (young or old) or experience (too little or too much) stop you from doing. What you are called to do. 

Have you been letting age or experience be a road block to your calling? How can we overcome the pressures that keep us from new experiences?

2 comments:

  1. I needed this. I am old, I'll be 60 later this year and I keep thinking life has passed me by, I have learned what I am going to learn and I have achieved what I will achieve. But God keeps telling me it is not too late that the Men of the OT were OLD when they did so many great things for him and I can do things too. Maybe not great, but still there are things I can do for Him beyond what is expected for a retired person in this day and age. Things that even I could not expect that I could do. This article just makes me think it even more. Now I must get beyond thinking and on to doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Moses was eighty when he finally stepped into his calling. Caleb took the mountain at 80 and Anna and Simeon prophesied over Jesus at a very old age.

      Delete