Saturday, December 26, 2015

Day 361 - Looking Ahead

"It is a good way to get going on the new year."

I have tried to approach life in many different ways over the years. Before I had the responsibilities I currently have, or have had in recent years, it was easy to go with the current. The relaxed approach and last minute planning worked well enough. 

When I married my wife it drove her nuts. Having kids made us prepare like crazy so I had to change. Thankfully kids require less as they grow older. 

As my responsibilities increased at church I found myself planning services and series. The seasons helped as well as having a team of people who had gifts and abilities that I didn't have. My wife helped me with this as well. Thankfully we have been able to work at the same place since we have been married. 

Eventually I was overseeing everything at the church and I found I was at the end of myself. It was at this point that I had to pray and ask God for the administrative gifting. Thankfully He is gracious and blessed me to have a mind to oversee and look ahead. The planning became a part of me. I actually would go home thinking I was a month ahead. It has made for some funny conversations. 

Looking ahead to the new year I think it is good to try and see a new vision of what we want our year to look like. Simple questions can help in this process. What are you unsatisfied with? What would you like to change? What are your goals? If money wasn't an issue what would you do? Why are you letting money stop you from it? 

I guess the whole point is to get some sort of vision. Allow yourself to dream. Part of the Holy Spirit's job description in the book of John is to show us things to come. Pray and ask God to show you what is ahead this coming year. Why wait until New Year's Eve to make a resolution because someone asks you what your resolutions are? You can start looking ahead now. 

Do you have any dreams for next year? How do you plan to accomplish them?

No comments:

Post a Comment