Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Day 364 - Be Careful What You Ask For

"I watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids with the kids and they liked it. I forgot the fun parts and the fantasy of that movie. Who wouldn't think being small was cool until you realize the peril of the larger world you have to encounter?"

I have been so thankful over the years that God, in His wisdom, has not answered every one of my prayers. That sounds surprising doesn't it? Who is thankful for unanswered prayers? I am. 

Let me explain. There was a time when I wanted to be a musician full time. More specifically I wanted to be a rock star. I wanted the big stage; televised concerts and such. Looking back now I know if my prayers were answered it would have destroyed me. Also, I would not be where I am at today. My life is so much greater than I ever could have imagined. If I had my prayers answered I would be empty and might end up shipwrecked concerning the faith. 

One more prayer that I am glad wasn't answered? Well, I remember praying about a girl. It just got personal but I know many of you have prayed about a relationship. I was praying that God would make it happen because we would be great together. Now in hindsight I realize that it would have been terrible. We would have killed each other. Don't get me wrong, she is a great person and her life is where God knew it needed to be. We would have never made it or we would have been miserable. I know that God had my perfect wife waiting for me now that I have her. I wouldn't trade her for anyone else. We are so in love that I am very thankful that God didn't answer that prayer. 

When our prayers go unanswered it can be discouraging. We get depressed or angry with God. But if we stop to think that God is good and has our best interests in mind doesn't it make sense that He knows what He is doing when He doesn't answer our prayers? In 1 John 5 it tell us that God hears the prayers that are according to His will. When He hears our prayers then we have what we asked. We can conclude then that the prayers we pray that are not according to His will go unheard and unanswered. That should be a comfort to all of us. It protects us from the wrong things we ask for our life. 

So what should we do? Pray. Ask away! Know that God will work it out and answer according to His will and His goodness. Don't get discouraged if things don't go your way. God has a better plan than we do. 

Have you had prayers you are glad God didn't answer? How did God make it better in the end? 

No comments:

Post a Comment