Monday, December 28, 2015

Day 363 - Counting Your Blessings

"We awoke to children as we do most days. What a blessing they all are."

Today I watched the classic movie White Christmas with my family. It is no contest the most entertaining Christmas variety show/tear jerker and feel good movie. Who doesn't tear up when the general inspects the troops? Between the smooth voices of Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney, the humor of Danny Kaye, the dance moves of Vera Ellen you can't go wrong. 

In the movie they have a song about counting your blessings. The first verse goes as follows:

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
i count my blessings instead of sheep 
and i fall asleep counting my blessingswhen my bankroll is getting small 
i think of when i had none at alland i fall asleep counting my blessings


It is interesting how some retrospect can change our perspective. Think back to when you had nothing. Think about what life was like before you had children. Sure they can drive you nuts sometimes but I bet you couldn't imagine life without them. Think about the blessing of your spouse or your friends. If you say you have nothing but Jesus remember the equations; 

Everything - Jesus = Nothing. Jesus + Nothing = Everything. 

There has been a saying going around on social media and I'm not sure who said it first. I guess when it is something as good as this is it doesn't matter who but really it must be a Holy Spirit inspiration. "Rather than look at what you don't have why not start looking at what you do have?" I call that wisdom. 

At a recent church service we decided to do something a little different and have a panel of people instead of a formal sermon. The wisdom that came forth was excellent. One of the statements that came from a wonderful woman in our ministry named Theresa Aguilar who is a reverend and instructor in our Bible College was to "Look for what God has placed in your life and connect with that." How awesome is that? 

If worry, fear, anxiety, depression or discouragement has hit you over this holiday season I would encourage you to count your blessings. You can start with Jesus as the biggest blessing of all. Don't focus on what you are lacking but look at what you do have. Finally, see who or what God has place in your life and try to connect. You can put all those fears to rest counting your blessings. 

What are the blessings you cherish? Are there any overlooked blessings people don't often see?

No comments:

Post a Comment