Friday, February 27, 2015

Day 59 - Pistachio or Banana?

"I got Pistachio ice cream and it tasted like banana. One of the girls in the store also had Pistachio and heard us talking about bananas and confirmed that hers tasted like it too. The clerk at the counter went to the jar of pudding mix they use for it and smelled the powder and sure enough it was banana. It was good but seemed funny to think about."

Everything about that ice cream made me want to think that it was pistachio. It was green, it had chopped pistachio nuts on top of it. The clerk pulled out the jar with the boxes of pudding mix they used to flavor the ice cream and they all said pistachio. The one thing that was most important was not there...the flavor. 

I was so happy that I wasn't crazy. The guy who mixed the ice cream had to pull the mix out and smell it to be convinced. I knew something was wrong. 

It reminds me of the time someone made me some enchiladas and instead of vegetable oil they used blood orange flavored oil. As I was eating I remarked that there was a strong citrus flavor. The cook had a good laugh and complimented my taste buds. They had ran out of regular oil and thought they could sneak by with the blood orange. 

If we know the truth then when a counterfeit comes along we will know the taste is off. We need to sharpen our spiritual senses to be so in tune with God that the devil tries to switch the flavor we will be prepared to catch him and cast him out. Deception is tricky because it is deceptive. That is why it is important to stick with truth. No matter what package a lie comes in you won't be fooled by it. 

How can we sharpen our spiritual senses? How does knowing truth help you spot the lie? 

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Dan, I don't know if you remember a guy who I knew from AOL and he would call himself lee. this person would go in Christian chartrooms on AOL and tell people "You been defeated" most everyone in the Christian chat room thought he was annoying and tell him to shut up. when he found out I was going to the rock church he would always put my pastors down or say things like bring your pastors to the chat room or give me a message to give them which I never did. He asked me if I knew who Jesus God was and he didn't make sense to me. Some people told me they believe he was Jehovah Witness but I knew what he was saying was false and he always told me women were not to preach. the way we know if someone is telling the truth from God's Word is to read and mediate on God's word be like the Berean's who study scriptures. The Holy Spirit will give you wisdom and direction and knowledge in His Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, I was just recalling how that guy contacted me on FaceBook a few years back wanting to debate. I shut down the conversation because he wasn't dealing with the basic level of Biblical interpretation and there was no reasoning with him. It is best to leave people like that alone.

      Delete